PhD BSc (Hons) CEng MIET
Consultative Research and Engineering for Specialist Applications
Secure M2M/IoT - Bespoke Wireless - Software Defined Radio - Full Stack
website-2010@tonychung dot net
I specialise in advanced prototypes and technical investigations. I undertake complete project lifecycle activities including research, requirements, architecting, design, implementation, and quality assurance.
- Embedded development on cores such as ARM and MSP430.
- Digital signal processing in Python, GNU Radio, and MATLAB.
- Customised Linux systems.
- Bespoke communication stacks utilising IP and non-IP (such as M2M) bearers.
- Cryptographic protocols including symmetric, asymmetric, hashing and RNGs.
- Management using systems such as subversion, git, Jira, and MS Project.
I have an interest in cross-disciplinary research, but my current postdoctoral research focuses on enhancing security by analysing the radio environment at the physical layer.
- Leading and undertaking complex experiments with multiple stakeholders.
- Fused analysis of RF data using digital signal processing at scale.
- Evaluation of positioning and dependable navigation technologies.
- Development of protocols for secure, minimalist, systems - including IPv6.
I lead technical projects to assist organisations understand and respond to the interaction between strategic business functions and emerging technology. I analyse business problems, engage stakeholders at all levels, and manage innovation to improve the technical readiness of my clients.
- Stakeholder engagement via technical demonstration, briefings, and panels.
- Modeling problems and solutions, working with industry to trial new products.
- Wireless testbed design and implementation.
- Managing research programmes to tender, review, risk assess, and supervise.
- Running outreach activities, including hackathons and other exercises.
I have a decade of University-level teaching experience, in topics including computer programming, networked communications, embedded systems and digital signal processing. I produce materials, deliver and assess student performance in a number of environments including lectures, seminars and industrial training courses.
- Production and delivery of workplace technical training courses.
- Lecturing on undergraduate, postgraduate, and industry courses.
- Leading laboratory sessions, providing one-to-one assistance.
- Development and delivery of class-based seminars.
- Assessing student work in demanding environments.
PhD: High Security Wireless Sensor Networks
I focused on high security applications (such as industrial control systems), with a particular focus on improving the performance of security protocols in low-energy M2M/IoT networks. My work involved elements of cryptographic protocol development for constrained hardware and physical-layer security solutions.
- A new authentication protocol based on wireless time-of-flight.
- Evaluation and design of cryptographic key establishment protocols.
- Accuracy evaluation of Nanotron NanoPAN and Time Domain PulsON ranging.
- Analysis of mesh network behaviour in the real world.
- Development of embedded firmware using the TinyOS system.
- Collaborative development of compressed IPsec for 6LoWPAN.
BSc: Computer Science - Embedded/Robotic Systems (1:1)
This course, and my electives, focused on embedded systems, robotics and computer security.
- Wireless M2M using Cyan eCog1k and Radiometrix TDL2a (dissertation).
- Efficient IP packet processing algorithms for Linux (internship).
- Negotiation and development of web services for small businesses (part time).
- Collaborative establishment of a campus HF radio station (extra-curricular).