PhD BSc (Hons) CEng MIET
Chartered Engineer in Wireless Systems Research
I research and develop innovative communication solutions for customers with complex business challenges. I am a full stack developer with applied research and development experience in embedded programming, secure networked systems and wireless. Much of my work has focused on technologies involving Machine-to-Machine (M2M), Internet-of-Things (IoT) and Software Defined Radio (SDR).
Active expertise areas:
I engineer bespoke communications systems to meet tough performance and security requirements. My experience includes activities from project inception to final delivery, with a significant focus on advanced prototype development with emerging technologies.
I have direct implementation experience with technologies including:
- Wireless communication stacks utilising IP and non-IP (such as M2M) bearers customised for optimisation and security.
- Development on embedded cores such as ARM and MSP430 using languages such as C/C++ and Java.
- Technical management in a corporate environment with systems such as subversion, git, Jira, and MS Project.
I undertake postdoc-level research the builds a deeper understanding of the performance and behaviour of systems. My work has a particular emphasis on physical layer properties from the RF channel. I apply digital signal processing using software defined radio technology, and fuse outputs with other data sources. I work extensively with M2M and IoT technologies, especially those designed to meet minimalist design.
Some research activities include:
- Building and instrumenting testbeds to support complex experiments with multiple stakeholders.
- Automating experiments involving the generation and analysis of RF data using digital signal processing at scale with Python, GNU Radio, and MATLAB.
- Evaluation of emerging technologies, particularly those involving M2M, positioning and dependable navigation technologies.
- Contributing to industry committees and leading conference activities.
- Managing research programmes to tender, review, risk assess, and supervise.
I have a decade of University-level teaching experience, in topics including computer programming, networked communications, digital signal processing and embedded systems. I produce materials, deliver and assess student performance in a number of environments including lectures, seminars and industrial training courses.
Recent experience includes:
- Producing and delivering workplace technical training courses.
- Lecturing on undergraduate, postgraduate, and industry courses.
- Leading laboratory sessions and seminars, providing one-to-one assistance and assessing student work in demanding environments.
- Running outreach activities, including hackathons and other exercises.
PhD: High Security Wireless Sensor Networks
I focused on high security applications (such as industrial control systems), with a particular focus on improving the performance of security protocols in low-energy M2M/IoT networks. My work involved elements of cryptographic protocol development for constrained hardware and physical-layer security solutions.
- A new authentication protocol based on wireless time-of-flight.
- Evaluation and design of cryptographic key establishment protocols.
- Accuracy evaluation of Nanotron NanoPAN and Time Domain PulsON ranging.
- Analysis of mesh network behaviour in the real world.
- Development of embedded firmware using the TinyOS system.
- Collaborative development of compressed IPsec for 6LoWPAN.
BSc: Computer Science - Embedded/Robotic Systems (1:1)
This course, and my electives, focused on embedded systems, robotics and computer security.
- Wireless M2M using Cyan eCog1k and Radiometrix TDL2a (dissertation).
- Efficient IP packet processing algorithms for Linux (internship).
- Negotiation and development of web services for small businesses (part time).
- Collaborative establishment of a campus HF radio station (extra-curricular).
website-2010@tonychung dot net