PhD BSc (Hons) CEng MIET
Chartered Engineer in Wireless Systems Research
I have over a decade of experience working with customers to understand complex business challenges and deliver innovative solutions. I manage, lead, research, engineer, and implement across the communications stack. Whilst actively engaged in industrial and academic projects, I use underlying skills in embedded systems, software-defined radio, wireless, and technical project management. Much of my recent work has been in Machine-to-Machine (M2M) and the Internet-of-Things (IoT).
Active expertise areas:
I deliver projects for industry customers with tough problems, supporting systems that need to run cost-effectively for extended periods and meet requirements such as ISO27001. I undertake research, negotiate requirements, architect designs, implement solutions, and lead quality assurance activities.
- Embedded development on cores such as ARM and MSP430.
- Digital signal processing in Python, GNU Radio, and MATLAB.
- Customised Linux systems, including at kernel level.
- Bespoke communication stacks utilising IP and non-IP (such as M2M) bearers.
- Cryptographic protocols including symmetric, asymmetric, hashing and RNGs.
- Management using systems such as subversion, git, Jira, and MS Project.
I undertake postdoctoral scientific and innovation research, working closely with clients to understand complex technical challenges. My current work focuses mostly on enhancing system dependability and security by building a deeper understanding of the RF channel at the physical layer. This involves the application of digital signal processing using software defined radio technology, and fusing these outputs with other data sources. I work extensively with M2M and IoT technologies, and have been involved in expert panels and industrial committees.
- Leading and undertaking complex experiments with multiple stakeholders.
- Analysis of RF data using digital signal processing at scale.
- Evaluation of positioning and dependable navigation technologies.
- Development of protocols for secure, minimalist, systems - including IPv6.
I lead technical projects to assist organisations understand and respond to the interaction between strategic business functions and emerging technology. I analyse business problems, engage stakeholders at all levels, and manage innovation to improve the technical readiness of my clients.
- Stakeholder engagement via technical demonstration, briefings, and panels.
- Modelling problems and solutions, working with industry to trial new products.
- Design, procurement, delivery and supervision of testbeds.
- Managing research programmes to tender, review, risk assess, and supervise.
- Running outreach activities, including hackathons and other exercises.
I have a decade of University-level teaching experience, in topics including digital signal processing, computer programming, networked communications and embedded systems. I produce materials, deliver and assess student performance in a number of environments including lectures, seminars and industrial training courses.
- Producing and delivering workplace technical training courses.
- Lecturing on undergraduate, postgraduate, and industry courses.
- Leading laboratory sessions, providing one-to-one assistance.
- Development and delivery of class-based seminars.
- Assessing student work in demanding environments.
PhD: High Security Wireless Sensor Networks
I focused on high security applications (such as industrial control systems), with a particular focus on improving the performance of security protocols in low-energy M2M/IoT networks. My work involved elements of cryptographic protocol development for constrained hardware and physical-layer security solutions.
- A new authentication protocol based on wireless time-of-flight.
- Evaluation and design of cryptographic key establishment protocols.
- Accuracy evaluation of Nanotron NanoPAN and Time Domain PulsON ranging.
- Analysis of mesh network behaviour in the real world.
- Development of embedded firmware using the TinyOS system.
- Collaborative development of compressed IPsec for 6LoWPAN.
BSc: Computer Science - Embedded/Robotic Systems (1:1)
This course, and my electives, focused on embedded systems, robotics and computer security.
- Wireless M2M using Cyan eCog1k and Radiometrix TDL2a (dissertation).
- Efficient IP packet processing algorithms for Linux (internship).
- Negotiation and development of web services for small businesses (part time).
- Collaborative establishment of a campus HF radio station (extra-curricular).
website-2010@tonychung dot net